Outreach and Communications Coordinator, UW Recycling & Solid Waste
Posted: May 29, 2013 Employment
Hourly Salary Level: $11.44 per hour
Description UW Recycling and the UW Garbology Project are hiring one student assistant to work with office and project staff to develop outreach materials and programs. This position is an ideal part-time job for an advanced undergraduate with an interest in sustainable environmental initiatives and urban planning. Work hours are flexible, and the position carries up to 150 hours of funded work from summer 2013 through fall quarter 2013.
The Outreach and Communications Coordinator will work with UW Recycling and the UW Garbology Project (UWGP) to develop marketing communications materials and strategies to educate and engage the UW community in waste reduction efforts. A primary focus will be disseminating information relevant to the recently funded CSF project, The Denny Project: The Future of Waste at UW, where we studied the impact select waste diversion programs implemented in Denny Hall had on overall waste composition generated in the building.
• Research and write content for newsletters, articles, press releases and other relevant campus media
• Manage and update social media content and post regularly to UWGP and UW Recycling Facebook pages
• Assist with preparation for relevant campus events such as First-Year Orientation and the Sustainability Summit
• Assist with creative concept planning for educational campaigns and videos.
• Design posters, flyers, brochures, and other promotional materials related to the Denny Project
• Design qualitative survey gauging the effectiveness of the programs implemented during the Denny Project
• Take photos and manage photo library relevant to the Denny Project
• Build resource library and make connections with key campus partners and stakeholders interested in waste reduction initiatives
• Proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, and Word
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize time accordingly
• Ability to work independently and on a wide variety of tasks simultaneously.
• A strong interest in sustainability
• Experience in editing and posting web pages and other social media sites is a plus
• Previous experience working in an office environment is a plus